Wednesday, February 16, 2005

I Hear West Virginia Is Nice This Time Of Year....

...or "Adventures With Alzheimers 2: Electric Boogaloo."

Yes, it's that time again kids! You get a peek into the wacky hijinx that fill your life when someone you love has Alzheimers!

On Monday my mom called. I noticed that she had a southern accent. Now, my mom lived in West Virginia until she was 13, so when her southern accent comes out, she's nearly incomprehensible. However, it only comes out when someone around her has a southern accent. So, naturally, I asked why she was southern. Apparently, my grandmother thinks she still lives in West Virginia (and so her accent came out). She thinks she's on vacation. Then someone knocked on the door, so my mom let me talk to my grandmother while she took care of it. My grandmother forgot who I was and why she was talking to me repeatedly. She also recommended that I visit West Virginia some time. It's very nice this time of year, according to her (I don't know what time of year she thinks it is, though). I'm sure you'll be glad to hear that the people at "this resort" are very nice and helpful. So, if you're ever in Idaho, go stay at Chez Raksha's Mom. My grandmother gives it a 4 star review.

Our house also doubles for a lot of other places too. Sometimes it's a nursing home, "which really needs to hire more nurses because just these three aren't enough." Once it was a hospital after the car my grandmother was in blew up. She had to be brought in on a stretcher and she demanded to see her charts. Another time, our house even managed to bi-locate and become my aunt's house in Ohio. Sometimes, we also have two second floors. Other times, one second floor moves downstairs and becomes a second basement. It only does that when you're trying to get at construction materials or wrapping paper you've stored away, though. It's very annoying.

I never knew one little cape cod could be so versatile!

4 Comments:

Blogger Claytonian said...

sometimes, I think being off your rocker could be quite fun

2:37 PM  
Blogger Linus said...

I never know if I should laugh or cry when I read these posts...

3:33 AM  
Blogger Raksha said...

Clay: I would agree, except for the fact that she's confused and upset a lot because what is really happening does not match up to what she thinks is happening or should be happening.

Linus: Go ahead and laugh. It's better that way.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Claytonian said...

ah, I will work on being content with everything before I go off the deep end then

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home