Monday, January 31, 2005

Dammit, I Hate Thinking About Class Stuff Outside of Class

But, I just can't help it this time. For our Gender and American religion class, the Nerdy Girl and I have to read a book about Spiritualism in the 1800s. It's a fascinating book. I was really struck by all of the similarities between Spiritualism and modern Paganism. The intense individualism, emphasis on progressive movements and social reform, and aversion to power structures and permanent buildings and all that. They even used the term "Summerland" for the afterlife.

So, all of these similarities seriously disturbed me. How many 19th century style Spiritualists do you know? None! It's gone, yo! And they had a lot more members and influence than modern Pagans. How do we keep our community from dying out the same way? What happened to the Spiritualists that we should guard against? Why is it that such hard, restricting, and often hurtful power structures keep coming back, while movements like Spiritualism with the potential for an improved quality of life go the way of the dodo?

I have no answers. Not now. How can I? I can't even remember what day it is.

7 Comments:

Blogger Linus said...

This is a really popular question in the study of religion. What makes one NRM (New Religious Movement) successfuly while another dies on the vine? A lot of sociological research has been/is being done on it.

The results are rather depressing actually.
Statistically speaking, people don't join NRMs because they are moved by the theological appeal or because they agree with the philosophy - although there are always a few folks who convert for those reasons. It's usually because they have friends and family who have already joined.

The upshot of this is that those faiths that recruit along friendship and kinship ties are the most likely to grow rapidly. NRMs that hope to take the ethical "high road" and allow new members to come to them of their own free will ultimately suffer from a very low or possibly negative growth rate.

Since most of the neopagan movements are not big proselytizers, they are not statistically likely to grow at a rapid or even steady rate. Naturally, your mileage may vary...

9:21 PM  
Blogger Nerdygirl said...

No thinking about class stuff more than you have to...

Your heart will start doing that fluttery thing again.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Raksha said...

Linus - Thanks for the input. Damn, that's kinda depressing though.

Abra - Actually, my heart has already started to do that fluttery thing again. Not as much as over break, but when I lay down at night sometimes it'll do it really hard and then stop. I'm actually so stressed out and cranky at this point, I'm rather apathetic about the prospect of a heart attack.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I come here by hazard, but I wass hooked! your writting is amazing. I will return to see if you can maintain the good job :-))
Raksha - Nail Fungus

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Raksha, I am just spending a couple of hours browsing and found your site. I spotted your post called Dammit, I Hate Thinking About Class Stuff Outside of Class although it was artificial christmas trees I was looking for. I found it an interesting and informative read and I just though I'd say so. Got to go looking for artificial christmas trees now so I'll check your site again soon. Good site by the way. Keep blogging - John

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Raksha, Just a quick note re Dammit, I Hate Thinking About Class Stuff Outside of Class. I thought it was an interesting post and it fits niceley with artificial christmas trees which is what I was looking for. Got to go as the other half is calling but I'll call back soon to look up artificial christmas trees

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Raksha, Your post on Dammit, I Hate Thinking About Class Stuff Outside of Class was very interesting and informative and helped me enormously in my search for artificial christmas trees. Keep up the good work - John

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home