Sunday, June 05, 2005

I've got the deep hurting....

Little update:

My mom's "you won't have to do any moving stuff" resolution lasted almost a week. On Friday, she finally started making me do stuff to prepare for the upcoming move. So far, we've pretty much remodeled our entire house so we can sell it. Even though our house was really nice already and we're asking nearly $100,000 less than our nearest "competitors" and our house is way nicer than anything you can get for $139,000 around here. Today, I had to pack up all of the stuff I'd left in my room because I don't need to cart it to school with me, take it out to the garage, unpack about a third of the stuff I've brought back from school, and figure out a way to camouflage the other 20 or so boxes full of my comic books in a room with no closets. That was...interesting. Thank goodness there are some built in drawers in the wall. I had to move most of my clothes to the armoire in the basement, but at least any potential buyers won't know I'm a nerdy freak. For some reason, my mom seems to think this is important.

I never want to walk up another flight of stairs in my life. Unfortunately, this means I'll now have to live in the basement of this house, since that is where the computer I am typing on is currently located. I hurt all over.

Did you notice the dollar amount I mentioned above? Those of you who know me are probably surprised, since it's no secret I'm flat broke, always have been, and my family isn't much better off. My parents are asking (and will be getting, no question) $139,000 for our dinky little house in the armpit of Idaho. They bought it almost three years ago for $71,000. That is how crazy the housing market is right now. The Californians have discovered us and not only have prices gone through the roof, but they're selling houses as soon as they go on the market. The house my parents are buying is a little farm house on 10 acres outside of town somewhere. They're paying $180,000 for it. However, turns out the sellers just want to get the fuck out of here, so they're selling it for way less than what it's worth. That property actually appraised at $280,000. The best part of this is that they're starting to build a bridge across the river at the end of the road that leads to that farm. When they finish it early next spring, they're putting four $1,000,000 houses in that area. My parents' property value is set to triple. Yes, I've had to live on nothing but cheese sandwiches for a week straight in the recent past because I couldn't afford to buy groceries, but my parents' home will be worth nearly a million dollars.

My head hurts.

And, of course, I won't be living in this shiny new house, as I will be moving two more times this summer! Everytime I even think about that, I throw my head back and cry like Snoopy ("Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!").

In other, geekier news, I promised here are some pictures of things I'm getting for myself because I just got my last paycheck from the Science Library and I like being poor:


Mitchell
Originally uploaded by Raksha38.



This is my new bag! I decided I needed a bigger one to carry around the laptop I got as a graduation present. So I went big and I went nerdy. Mitchell. Even his name says "Is that a beer?" *sings* Who's the puffy guy who's the big blurry sex machine? Mitchell! They say Mitchell is one bad mother-- Shut your mouth! I'm just talking 'bout Mitchell...


FilthyAssistant
Originally uploaded by Raksha38.



And since I will be transfering my button collection to my new bag, I'm going to nerdy it up a little with a little Filthy Assistant action. Not that my button collection isn't already slightly nerdy, what with the "Phoenix Lives!" button (from back when she died the first time) and my piece of flair.

6 Comments:

Blogger Linus said...

I wonder how many of the Flock will get the Mitchell joke... you may have to eductate them when you get back here.

I feel your pain regarding the housing market. Sometime this week I'll put up a post about the house trading my mother and sister are doing out in the unHoly Lands. The dollar amounts make it quite clear that an academic like myself can look forward to spending my golden years in a cardboard box out by the train tracks...

8:47 AM  
Blogger Raksha said...

No, dear. No cardboard boxes! We will be in possession of advanced degrees! We'll be a part of our society's repository of knowledge, wisdom, and innovation.

It'll be a van down by the river.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Claytonian said...

you mean cry like charlie brown, right? Unless you are talking about the Charlie brown goes to France special. Snoopy sits in a bar and crys to a sad French song.

I'm not making any of this up.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Linus said...

The river is nice...

I thought it was cry like Snoopy in the Thanksgiving special, when the folding chair pinches his paw.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Squid said...

Power & Chaos! mmm Tribe flair...mmm televised crack...must have more...twitch! :) We will have to have an all day tribe-a-thon when you get back!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Raksha said...

Oh, yeah! I forgot how nerdy my Tribe button is. Maybe that's beyond nerdy into weird and sad. But, still. I'm bringing all of my Tribe tapes, so we can watch from the beginning!

Clay - No, I mean Snoopy. She does this hilarious thing with his head and the sound he makes is great.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home