Monday, April 25, 2005

I Ruin Everything I Touch

I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I mean this literally. Things fall to pieces around me. I was talking to Linus about this the other day and he suggested I have an entropy field around me. I think he's right. Some examples:

My apartment:
The day after I moved in, my toilet broke. It'll still flush, but I have to lift up the tank lid every time and make sure the flapper covers the hole. I've had two repair people come in so far and they still haven't managed to fix it. I've got a third call in and he should come to fix it today, but I'm not holding my breath.

The second week I was in my apartment, two sticky spots showed up on my carpet. I have no idea where they came from. I didn't spill anything, I wasn't cooking, I didn't track anything in on my shoes, they just appeared. Huh.

The rod that adjusts the angle of my blinds snapped off.

The arm that opens my crank window came off the track while the window was wide open. I had to pry the screen off the widown, lean way out and fix the damn thing. Then the screen wouldn't go back in. It took a few days of whacking it with a hammer. I hope no one notices the dents.

My Computers: I've had three viruses which required that I wipe my entire hard drive and start over. I've blown out two monitors, one of which was quite spectacular. It caught fire with no warning one night. One time, every time I turned on the computer the mouse started jumping around the screen and programs kept opening and closing like crazy. I went out and bought a new computer, which promptly started doing the same thing. Turns out the mouse was broken. D'oh!

My TV/VCR/DVD Things: I've blown out a TV quite spectacularly as well. I bought a brand new DVD player that would get half way into a movie and freeze. I swapped it for another one that worked until the day after the warantee expired, then apparently began taking a lot of acid. My current VCR actually works pretty well, which is enough to make me suspicious.

My Diskman: So far, I've managed to keep my diskman in one piece, but it isn't even a year old yet. My earphones, however, disintigrate after a few months.

My Body: I'm 23 and I'm falling apart. My arms, my heart, my girly bits, my head, and various other bits of me aren't functioning up to code.

My Car: I'm sure most of you know all about my car, since you've been giving me rides because it's always fucking broken. This did not used to be the case. Oh, no. For the two years that it was my mom's car, it worked perfectly, even though she drove it hard. The minute I became the primary driver, it began rusting, it got hit in a parking lot, and parts began falling out of it left and right. I've spent over $3,000 on it in the last 2 1/2 years. In fact, just this morning I picked it up from the mechanic and, $100 later, it's still doing the exact same thing I took it in for.

And don't get me started on the car I had before this one. It was not nearly as bad as this one, but let's just say that "Reliant" is a bit of a misnomer.

My Blogger: I wrote this post once, and when I tried to post it, it disappeared. "Recover Post" only recovered half of it. ARGH.

10 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I do not mean to mock your suffering, but that is mighty funny. Granted, your apartment is about 70% spackle and a gajillion years old and I truly believe that Wyoming hates electronics and automobiles because it still thinks its the wild west. But considering all of your bad luck I'm going to have to agree that it's probably you.

Please don't touch any of my things.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering most corporations impliment a planned mortality into the product, you shouldn't be so distraught it all turns into shit.

I'm a pretty clumsy fellow, so I've seen many possessions break under my stewardship, including countless pairs of glasses.

At least you'll always have your friends and...*ahem*...hmmph...hmph...excuse me, I seem to feel a cough coming on...

8:40 PM  
Blogger Linus said...

Although Skyblade may be on the right track - planned obsolesence may indeed be part of the problem - the preponderance of similar events in your life might warrant an investigation by Scully and Mulder.

I have decided that friendship with you is worth the risk, but I must confess that my car does run poorly when you're in it...
:)

4:18 AM  
Blogger Raksha said...

I am a danger to my friends! I'll do my best not to touch y'all or your stuff. Well, except for your cars. A lot of the time, it's just too freaking cold to walk places here.

And I'd love for Mulder and Scully to investigate, Linus. Unfortunately, the Mulder action figure is still trying to get his cult off the ground. The Scully is not helping matters by refusing to wear the flimsy white shift and roll around in the sand with Monica Reyes or Diana Fowley.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Linus said...

Scully's reluctance is a pity - I'm sure that scene would sell big...

5:52 AM  
Blogger Raksha said...

Fap, fap, fap, as the kids say.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Claytonian said...

or as they do often as well

...
your girly bits are broke?

5:46 PM  
Blogger Raksha said...

Yeah, right before and after I get my period, I've been getting really intense dull pains in my right side. I think my ovary is trying to make a break for it.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, society tells me I shoud freak out at talk of periods. But I have three younger sisters who never left a detail unshed. I'm completely unfazed.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Linus said...

You suffer from a condition known as Unruly Ovary. Seek out the help of a qualified Egg Tamer.

(Sleep deprivation is finally taking its toll...)

3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home