Saturday, March 26, 2005

I Love You, But Not Enough To Stop Eating.

I should have been asleep at 2 a.m. this morning, but I wasn't. Why wasn't I? Because, as usual, my brain wouldn't shut up. I very rarely think of anything important at times like these. Last night, I was making a grocery list that I won't need until after I get back from my OSU visit, making a list of things I need to do before I move out of my apartment at the end of the semester, and trying to remember all of the words to a Sesame Street song called "Up and Down."

I also thought a bit about the Baha'i fast. I know at least two people read my blog who aren't a part of my every day community here in Laramie, so I'll explain a bit. Everyone else skip to the next paragraph. A few of my friends are Baha'is. Recently, they had a fast which lasted something like 19 days where they couldn't eat or drink from sun up to sundown. Most of our group of friends got up at the ass crack of dawn at one point or another (and often more than once) to have breakfast with them as a show of support.

I was thinking about how much I liked that. Not the actual getting up at 5 am (or at 4:30 the day that I cooked breakfast) and not being able to fall back asleep afterward part. I liked the feeling close to my friends part. During the day, people would ask me why I was falling asleep, and I would tell them all about my friends' fast and how cool my other friends were for supporting them like that. They'd all look at me like I was crazy and say things like "Wow, you must really like your friends!" I'd just smile cuz, yeah, I really do like my friends. I wouldn't do something like that for just anybody, but Rachel and Ben are awesome. And my other friends are awesome too, so hanging out with them any time is great. I actually looked forward to breakfasts at 5:30 am. There was a calm (even with Brittany!) and cozy atmosphere that was really nice. Tessa's blue corn pancakes were also very nice (note to self: get that recipe). I was actually kind of sad when I got sick and couldn't handle getting up that early or moving around too much.

I'm glad the fast isn't an everyday thing, but I'm also glad that I took part in a little piece of it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nerdygirl said...

We love you too, sweetie.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Linus said...

We love you too. :)

I have been trying to take note of ALL the things we do together - knowing that graduation will pull this joyful and loving community apart. I know that we will stay in touch with Email and phone calls, but these are charmed days that will not return. We must embrace each other, and store each of these moments in our minds.
The support we all enjoy now will still be there, but soon it will only come in the form of a tinny voice on your cell phone, or files in your inbox. On that day, we will all be glad we can recall that last party, that last dinner out, that last hug. Like always, the message here is "Pay Attention."

12:38 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

It means a lot to me that you were willing to wake up on the dark side of dawn to eat with us (and even cook). It always makes the fast that much more enjoyable to have friends to share it with.

I'm really glad that you took part and that you had fun.

Thank you.

P.S. No, you're awesome!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

It means a lot to me as well. Thank you.

PS I think you're cool too. And you make great eggs. ;-)

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home