Monday, October 31, 2005

Silence Is Golden (Except In Class).

It's strange how things change over the course of a few short weeks. At the beginning of the quarter (OSU is on a quarter system, which sucks super bad), I had a very definite concept of how my three classes rated. I liked my India class best, my feminist theory class...um...middle, and my pedagogy class least. Then, after the first two weeks or so, my pedagogy class stopped having presentations by on-campus services (such as the writing center) and we started getting into these deep conversations. Meanwhile, the conversations came to a screeching halt in my India class.

Thing I Hate #3:

People Who Don't Participate

Why don't they talk? I don't know. But it's damn annoying. There are 8 people in that class, 3 of whom NEVER speak. Like, ever. One girl talks every now and then, but she's one of two undergrads in the class (the other one doesn't talk), and she's not quite on par with the rest of us, with regards to theory. Except for me, all of the grad students are at least 2nd year, so they're pretty advanced. So that leaves four of us and the teacher to carry the conversations. And I don't want to talk because I fucking hate everything about school and women's studies right now. *sigh* It hurts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Linus said...

Does your syllabus have participation listed as part of the grade? That usually motivates a few (at least those who care about their grades).

I am in a similar situation with my Intro to WMST class. We have over 30 in the class, but about 6 or 8 of us carry all discussions. I wonder why they are in college - but then again, I wonder why *I'm* in college sometimes...

11:41 AM  
Blogger Raksha said...

Yeah, participation counts for 15% of our grade. Which just makes everyone's refusal to talk that much more infuriating. Seriously, WTF? At least in your Intro class, you can console yourself with the fact that a fair percentage of your classmates will drop out before obtaining a degree. Mine, however, are mostly grad students, and the two that aren't will be graduating this year with BAs.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home